Search:
Type the text to search here
and press Enter.
This will search in all fields
of the database.

Click on Search: to go to the advanced search page.

N Scale - Bowser - 37228 - Caboose, Cupola, Steel, NE - Duluth Winnipeg & Pacific - 76939

Please help support TroveStar. Why?

N Scale - Bowser - 37228 - Caboose, Cupola, Steel, NE - Duluth Winnipeg & Pacific - 76939 STEEL CABOOSE '76' HAPPY BIRTHDAY


N Scale - Bowser - 37228 - Caboose, Cupola, Steel, NE - Duluth Winnipeg & Pacific - 76939


Brand Bowser
Stock Number 37228
Manufacturer Bowser
Body Style Bowser Caboose N5
Prototype Caboose, Cupola, Steel, NE (Details)
Road or Company Name Duluth Winnipeg & Pacific (Details)
Reporting Marks DWP
Road or Reporting Number 76939
Paint Color(s) Red, White and Blue
Coupler Type Rapido Hook
Wheel Type Injection Molded Plastic
Wheel Profile Small Flange (Low Profile)
Body Material Plastic
Release Date 2000-08-01
Item Category Rolling Stock (Freight)
Model Type Caboose
Model Subtype N-5
Model Variety N5
Prototype Region North America
Prototype Era Era II: Late Steam (1901 - 1938)
Years Produced 1924-1948
Scale 1/160



Specific Item Information: Happy Birthday U.S.A.

Prototype History:
The Northeast or NE style caboose was introduced by the Reading Railroad in 1924. The design was an all-steel version of a USRA design. The acquisition of these new cabooses was prompted by proposed Pennsylvania legislation requiring larger, more structurally sound caboose for use in through freight consists. The original set of cabooses was ordered from AC&F, but other manufacturers also adopted similar designs.

The Reading selection was made after the consideration of several designs. The original purchase was for 10 cars in 1924, but the design was so effective that it became the de-facto Reading standard and they continued purchasing new cabooses of this type through 1948. The design soon became popular with other Northeastern railroads such as the WM, L&NE, LV, CNJ and others.

Road Name History:
The DW&P was the result of the 1909 reorganization of the Duluth Rainy Lake & Winnipeg Railway. Under the control of the Canadian Northern, the DW&P completed their 167 mile line from Duluth, Minnesota, northwest to Fort Frances, Ontario on the U.S.-Canada border in 1912. At Fort Frances they connected with CNor’s mainline between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay. Canadian Northern became part of Canadian National in 1918 and control of DW&P passed to them at that time.

Their largest steam locomotive was a single 2-8-2. Most of the steam fleet consisted of 2-8-0s. The diesel fleet has run from a dozen to a dozen and a half units over the years. They have only had 4 models in the fleet – ever: RS-11’s (which were delivered with a long-hood-forward configuration like parent CN), SD40’s, GP38-2’s and a single NW2. Yes, DW&P was another railroad to have never bought a cab unit. The first diesel paint scheme was essentially the same as Canadian National’s from the same period, green and gold with black lettering. In 1960, CN turned to black with red ends and big white noodle logos. Although DW&P went with the paint color, apparently you just can’t boil a noodle long enough to spell “DW&P” so they went with simple gothic initials instead. Later, they adopted CN’s black and red with big diagonal white bands on the long hood. Later, DW&P went to solid Morency Orange with white frame stripe. Then DW&P ownership was transferred to CN’s US holding company Grand Trunk Corporation. At this point they began painting their engines blue with red ends such as that used on Grand Trunk Western..

The 1995 privitization of Canadian National brought the absorbtion of operations and the separate identities for GTW and DW&P (CV had been spun off.) Duluth Winnipeg & Pacific, known by locals as “The Peg”, is now a paper railroad and it is fairly common to see CN cars with DWP reporting marks.

Brand/Importer Information:
On May 1, 1961, Bowser was purchased by Lewis and Shirlee English and moved from Redlands, CA to their basement in Muncy, PA. The original Bowser Manufacturing Co first advertised in the model railroad magazines in November 1948. At that time, the company had only one (HO Scale) engine, the Mountain, which had a cast brass boiler that is no longer available. It was sometime later that Bowser (Redlands) developed the NYC K-11 and the UP Challenger. The molds were made by K. Wenzlaff who introduced himself at the MRIA Show in Pasadena, CA in 1985 These two locomotives are still current production.

Bowser entered into N Scale in 1998 with their acquisition of the Delaware Valley Car Company, a manufacturer of N scale freight cars.

Item created by: Lethe on 2015-10-02 10:12:41. Last edited by gdm on 2018-05-27 08:46:23

If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.