Search:
Type the text to search here and press Enter.
Separate search terms by a space; they will all be searched individually in all fields of the database.

Click on Search: to go to the advanced search page.

N Scale - Bowser - 37112 - Caboose, Cupola, Steel, NE - Detroit & Mackinac - 207

Please help support TroveStar. Why?

N Scale - Bowser - 37112 - Caboose, Cupola, Steel, NE - Detroit & Mackinac - 207 N5 CABOOSE DETROIT & MACKINAC TUSC 1st


Brand Bowser
Stock Number 37112
Manufacturer Bowser
Production Type Regular Production
Body Style Bowser Caboose N5
Prototype Caboose, Cupola, Steel, NE (Details)
Road or Company Name Detroit & Mackinac (Details)
Reporting Marks D&M
Road or Reporting Number 207
Paint Color(s) Tuscan Red
Body Material Plastic
Release Date 2000-08-01
Item Category Rolling Stock (Freight)
Model Type Caboose
Model Subtype N-5
Model Variety N5
Prototype Region North America
Prototype Era Era II: Late Steam (1901 - 1938)
Years Produced 1924-1948
Scale 1/160



Prototype History:
The Northeast or NE style caboose was introduced by the Reading Railroad in 1924. The design was an all-steel version of a USRA design. The acquisition of these new cabooses was prompted by proposed Pennsylvania legislation requiring larger, more structurally sound caboose for use in through freight consists. The original set of cabooses was ordered from AC&F, but other manufacturers also adopted similar designs.

The Reading selection was made after the consideration of several designs. The original purchase was for 10 cars in 1924, but the design was so effective that it became the de-facto Reading standard and they continued purchasing new cabooses of this type through 1948. The design soon became popular with other Northeastern railroads such as the WM, L&NE, LV, CNJ and others.

Road Name History:
First of all, Mackinac is pronounced “MACKinaw.” The Mackinac region is where Lake Superior and Lake Huron meet. Some towns in the region spell it with a W but not the D&M.

The D&M was established in 1894 as part of the reorganization of the Detroit Bay City & Alpena Railroad. The D&M ran from Cheboygan to Bay City and La Rocque plus branches, all in Michigan’s lower peninsula. The total mileage was 348, making it nearly as big as cross-lake neighbor Duluth Missabe & Iron Range. D&M had picked up some former Penn Central lines excluded from Conrail but service ended in 1990 on those routes. Traffic was primarily forest products and aggregates. In addition to connections on the southern end of the D&M, they interchanged with the Duluth South Shore & Atlantic (later SOO) on the Upper Peninsula via car ferry from Bay City across the Straights of Mackinac.

D&M’s diesel roster (around 12 units) was almost entirely Alco. They also had about 1200 freight cars. Their logo had a cartoon of an engineer named Mackinac Mac holding a wrench. The Detroit & Mackinac flag fell in 1992 when the owners sold it to a new railroad, Lake State Railway.

Brand/Importer Information:
On May 1, 1961, Bowser was purchased by Lewis and Shirlee English and moved from Redlands, CA to their basement in Muncy, PA. The original Bowser Manufacturing Co first advertised in the model railroad magazines in November 1948. At that time, the company had only one (HO Scale) engine, the Mountain, which had a cast brass boiler that is no longer available. It was sometime later that Bowser (Redlands) developed the NYC K-11 and the UP Challenger. The molds were made by K. Wenzlaff who introduced himself at the MRIA Show in Pasadena, CA in 1985 These two locomotives are still current production.

Bowser entered into N Scale in 1998 with their acquisition of the Delaware Valley Car Company, a manufacturer of N scale freight cars.

Item created by: Lethe on 2015-10-02 10:12:39. Last edited by scottakoltz on 2020-05-26 12:41:28

If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.