Search:
Type the text to search here
and press Enter.
This will search in all fields
of the database.

Click on Search: to go to the advanced search page.

N Scale - Walthers - 932-28213 - Flatcar, 53 Foot 6 inch GSC Commonwealth - Southern Pacific - 700021, 700045

Please help support TroveStar. Why?

N Scale - Walthers - 932-28213 - Flatcar, 53 Foot 6 inch GSC Commonwealth - Southern Pacific - 700021, 700045


N Scale - Walthers - 932-28213 - Flatcar, 53 Foot 6 inch GSC Commonwealth - Southern Pacific - 700021, 700045


Brand Walthers
Stock Number 932-28213
Original Retail Price $23.98
Manufacturer Walthers
Production Type Regular Production
Body Style Walthers Flatcar 54 Foot GSC
Prototype Flatcar, 53 Foot 6 inch GSC Commonwealth (Details)
Road or Company Name Southern Pacific (Details)
Reporting Marks SP
Road or Reporting Number 700021, 700045
Paint Color(s) Brown
Print Color(s) White
Coupler Type AccuMate Magnetic Knuckle
Coupler Mount Truck-Mount
Wheel Type Injection Molded Plastic
Wheel Profile Small Flange (Low Profile)
Body Material Diecast-metal and plastic
Multipack Yes
Multipack Count 2
Multipack ID Number 932-28213
Announcement Date 2006-05-18
Release Date 2007-02-01
Item Category Rolling Stock (Freight)
Model Type Flatcar
Model Subtype 53 Foot 6 Inch
Model Variety GSC
Prototype Region North America
Prototype Era Era IV: 2nd Gen Diesel (1958 - 1978)
Scale 1/160



Model Information: Model introduced in the mid-1990s, and re-run, with Accumate couplers, in 2007 and 2011.
These models are made of cast metal and include optional bulkheads (as noted) to match prototype practice. So two varieties are available - with and without bulkheads.
In the first run of these cars, three (3) road numbers were offered under the same stock number. In the 2007 run, 3 road numbers were offered as well, but one as a single item and the two others in a 2-pack with a different stock number.
Atlas purchased this tooling from Walthers' N scale range in 2018, and decided to re-run the model in 2019, first in its Bulkhead Flat Car version, as a 48' GSC (General Steel Industries) Bulkhead Flat Car, and then in its bulkhead-less version as 53' 6" flat car. 48-foot represents the interior-length whereas the total length of the car is 53-foot 6-inch, hence Walthers referring to them as 54' GSC flat cars.

One of the most common flat cars in service from the 1950s to the present. These steel cars were considered strong enough to withstand the strain of intermodal service, and their 53' 6"-length was ideal for 32' and 35' trailers. When fitted for piggyback service, the cars were equipped with a hitch and rub rails, numerous tie-downs and bridge plates. In later years, a new hitch replaced the tie-downs.

Prototype History:
General Steel Castings (GSC) made the underframes for the Pennsy F30. They decided to create their own product by modifying the Pennsy design. They stretched the design to 53 foot, 6 inches and made the entire body a single casting. The resulting car was manufactured starting in the early 1950s was initially sold as a kit to railroads and only late offered as a complete ready-to-run car. The car was offered in both bulkhead and non-bulkhead versions based on customer requirements.

One of the most common of all flat cars, these rugged designs were in service from the 50s to the 90s and a few still operate today. Built around a large one-piece steel casting, the prototypes could handle a wide range of cargo and were often rebuilt for piggyback loading. These cars are equally at home hauling machinery, steel slabs and more. They were also fitted with bulkheads and handled loads such as lumber and pipe, and a few roads even outfitted them with log bunks for hauling freshly cut timber.

Road Name History:
The Southern Pacific Transportation Company (reporting mark SP), earlier Southern Pacific Railroad and Southern Pacific Company, and usually called the Southern Pacific or (from the railroad's initials) Espee, was an American Class I railroad. It was absorbed in 1988 by the company that controlled the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad and eight years later became part of the Union Pacific Railroad.

The railroad was founded as a land holding company in 1865, later acquiring the Central Pacific Railroad by lease. By 1900 the Southern Pacific Company was a major railroad system incorporating many smaller companies, such as the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and Morgan's Louisiana and Texas Railroad. It extended from New Orleans through Texas to El Paso, across New Mexico and through Tucson, to Los Angeles, through most of California, including San Francisco and Sacramento. Central Pacific lines extended east across Nevada to Ogden, Utah, and reached north through Oregon to Portland. Other subsidiaries eventually included the St. Louis Southwestern Railway (Cotton Belt), the Northwestern Pacific Railroad at 328 miles (528 km), the 1,331 miles (2,142 km) Southern Pacific Railroad of Mexico, and a variety of 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge routes.

In 1929 SP/T&NO operated 13848 route-miles not including Cotton Belt, whose purchase of the Golden State Route circa 1980 nearly doubled its size to 3,085 miles (4,965 km), bringing total SP/SSW mileage to around 13,508 miles (21,739 km).

By the 1980s route mileage had dropped to 10,423 miles (16,774 km), mainly due to the pruning of branch lines. In 1988 the Southern Pacific was taken over by D&RGW parent Rio Grande Industries. The combined railroad kept the Southern Pacific name due to its brand recognition in the railroad industry and with customers of both constituent railroads. Along with the addition of the SPCSL Corporation route from Chicago to St. Louis, the total length of the D&RGW/SP/SSW system was 15,959 miles (25,684 km).

By 1996 years of financial problems had dropped SP's mileage to 13,715 miles (22,072 km), and it was taken over by the Union Pacific Railroad.

Read more on Wikipedia.

Brand/Importer Information:
Wm. K. Walthers, Inc., was founded in Milwaukee in 1932 -- but really, it started years earlier, when seven-year-old Bill Walthers got his first taste of the hobby with a small, wind-up toy train for Christmas. He continued with the hobby and eventually had an attic layout comprised primarily of his own scratch-built creations. After he wrote a series of articles on building train control and signaling systems, he got so many letters from other modelers that he began manufacturing them. The first ad (in the May issue of The Model Maker) offered a 24-page, 15c catalog that listed rail, couplers, and electrical supplies. Sales were over $500.00 for the first year, and the fledgling company was off to a strong start.

Within five years, Walthers had grown so much that larger quarters were needed. Space was found on Erie Street, where everything -- from milled wood parts to metal castings to decals -- was made in-house. 1937 also saw a new line in HO Scale, featured in its own catalog. Bill brought operating layouts to the 1939 World's Fair, which gave the hobby a big boost. Soon, though, the growing possibility of war overshadowed these successes, and supplies were becoming increasingly difficult to obtain.

During the war, model manufacturers were ordered to stop production in order to conserve critical metal supplies. Walthers produced what it could from nonessential materials. A series of ads in 1943 saw Bill literally scraping the bottom of a barrel! The postwar boom meant rapid growth for the hobby; however, small homes and new families left no room for O scale layouts, and many modelers moved to HO Scale.

The next twenty years brought great change. In 1958, Bill retired and his son Bruce took over. Just as full-size railroads were being hard-hit by new technology, so too were model railroads. Leisure time was spent in front of the TV set, not the train set. In 1960, Walthers became a full-line distributor of other manufacturers' products while continuing expansion of the Walthers lines. By the start of the 1970's, business was booming again, and Bruce's son Phil joined the company.

Expansion and diversification continue under Phil's tenure. The establishment of the Walthers Importing Division added several international lines. The manufacturing plant was modernized. Code 83 track was introduced in 1985, giving layouts more realistic proportions. In 1990, the Cornerstone Series buildings were unveiled. Combining a freight car with a related industry, the Cornerstone Series makes it possible for modelers to duplicate authentic operations, enhancing layout realism. The Train Line Deluxe Sets and locomotives debuted in 1994. These sets feature the detailing of serious models and an affordable price -- allowing newcomers to get started, and then build-on to their first set, rather than replacing it.

In 2005, Walthers purchased Life-Like from Lifoam Industries. With this purchase Walthers acquired the Proto Lines that have become the backbone of their locomotive and rolling stock segments.

Today, Walthers continues to expand, improve and develop a wide range of products. Their latest selection can be found throughout Walthers.com and their printed catalogs, along with items from over 300 other manufacturers.

In December 2017, Lowell Smith announced the ‘purchase of tooling’ of the Walthers line of N Scale passenger cars (sleeper, coach and baggage cars), and in June 2018, Atlas announced that it will purchase all N scale locomotive and rolling stock tooling owned by Walthers, including the Walthers N tooling as well as former Life-Like tooling. This divestment puts an end to Walthers involvement as a manufacturer of N scale rolling-stock, though it will continue its range of N scale structures.

Item created by: Alain LM on 2019-06-24 01:50:09. Last edited by Alain LM on 2019-06-25 01:34:14

If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.