People who viewed this item also viewed: 135453, 129302, 143060, 90673, 1416
Model Information: Atlas introduced the SD60 in 1998. The SD50 and SD60M followed in 1999. In 2002 they revised the SD60M and SD50. In 2005, Atlas revised the SD60. All three models (SD60, SD60M and SD50) share the same mechanism and differ only in shell detailing. These models also come with uninstalled detail parts such as snow-plow and winterization hatches. These details must be installed by the owner.
The revised versions all carry typical post-2000 mechanisms. Therefore, we see features such as dial flywheels, all-wheel pickup and drive, blackened metal wheels, bi-directional lighting, a split-frame DCC-Ready chassis and easily-swappable body-mount couplers. The revised version feature Atlas' slow-speed motor, golden white LEDs and nicely painted two-tone handrails. Yes, they run very nicely.
DCC Information: The revised version of this model is DCC ready. It is available either in DC or DCC-equipped, with Lenz LE062XF for earlier runs, and with NCE N12A1 for more recent ones.
Models accept the following after market plug-in decoders:
- Digitrax DN163A1: 1 Amp N Scale Mobile Decoder for Atlas N-Scale SD60, SD60M, SD50 and others.
- TCS ALD4: Four Function decoder, for Atlas Long length Drop-in.
- NCE N12A1: Plug and play decoder for N-Scale Atlas SD50, SD60M, SD60.
The development of the 16-cylinder EMD 50 and 60 series locomotives in the late 1970s and early 1980s was spurred by the introduction of 3,600 horsepower (2,700 kW) 16-cylinder GE B36-7 (B-B) and GE C36-7 (C-C) locomotives by EMD's main competitor General Electric. EMD previously manufactured the 3,600 hp (2,700 kW) 20-cylinder SD45 and SD45-2 locomotives, but they had a reputation for high fuel consumption. In 1980, the SD50 model was added to the EMD Catalog. However, the SD50's electrical reliability was poor and, similarly, the 3,500 horsepower (2,600 kW) 16-645F engine had poor mechanical reliability, both believed to be largely due to excessive vibration from the 950 maximum rpm of the 645F prime mover. It was time to develop a replacement for the venerable 645 engine which, in its earlier 16-645E form, had proved to be exceptionally reliable. EMD therefore quickly commenced development of the SD60 series, which would eliminate the weaknesses of the SD50. The lessons learned in developing the 645F crankcase and crankshaft (for the earlier 20-645E, and the then-current 16-645F) were incorporated in the replacement, the 710G, first employed in the SD60. Although the carbody and frame are nearly indistinguishable from the earlier SD50, the SD60 featured the new 16-cylinder EMD 710G3A prime mover, AR-11 traction alternator, D-87 traction motors and a microprocessor-based control system that governed various electrical systems within the locomotive (e.g., wheel slip and transition).
Read more on American-Rails.com
Road Name History:
The New York, Susquehanna & Western can trace its roots back to the Hoboken, Ridgefield & Paterson Railroad, chartered in 1866 to connect industrial Paterson, New Jersey, with the ports along the Hudson Waterfront opposite New York City at Hoboken. That same year, the New York and Oswego Midland Railroad was chartered to connect the Great Lakes port at Oswego, New York, with New York City. Several competing companies sprang up in 1867, but the New Jersey Western was the most successful, constructing westward from Paterson and Hawthorne. Cornelious Wortendyke, president of the New Jersey Western Railroad (NJW), signed a lease agreement with DeWitt Clinton Littlejohn of the New York, Ontario and Western Railway (NYO&W) giving his road a through route into New Jersey. Construction on the NY&OM started in 1868 and progressed rapidly. The NJW changed its name to the New Jersey Midland Railway in 1870, and construction had stretched from Hackensack, New Jersey, all the way through to Hanford.
Currently, the NYS&W operates over 500 miles of track in three states. The network consists of three main routes, one running from Northern New Jersey to Binghamton and the other two branching north from Binghamton to serve Utica and Syracuse.
In those days, railroad modelers had to assemble and build everything from scratch. Steve Jr. created a "switch kit" which sold so well, that the entire family worked on them in the basement at night, while doing business as usual in the machine shop during the day.
Subsequently, Steve Jr. engineered the stapling of rail to fiber track, along with inventing the first practical rail joiner and pre-assembled turnouts and flexible track. All of these products, and more, helped to popularize model railroading and assisted in the creation of a mass-market hobby. The budding entrepreneur quickly outgrew the limitations of a basement and small garage operation. Realizing they could actually make a living selling track and related products, Steve and his father had the first factory built in Hillside, New Jersey at 413 Florence Avenue in 1947. On September 30, 1949, the Atlas Tool Company was officially incorporated as a New Jersey company.
In 1985, Steve was honored posthumously for his inventions by the Model Railroad Industry Association and was inducted into the Model Railroad Industry Hall of Fame in Baltimore, Maryland. In addition, Steve was nominated and entered into the National Model Railroad Association Pioneers of Model Railroading in 1995.
In the early 1990s, the Atlas Tool Company changed its name to Atlas Model Railroad Company, Inc.
Item created by: Steve German on 2016-04-11 15:51:41. Last edited by Alain LM on 2018-04-17 11:06:06
If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.