People who viewed this item also viewed: 143683, 142622, 143684, 121489, 143686
History: As a result of the lack of powerful express locomotives in the first decade of the 20th century, the Prussian state railways ordered the Class S 10 locomotives from Schwartzkopff. This engine was an evolutionary development of the passenger train locomotive, the Prussian P 8, which can be seen from the similarity in their locomotive frames. Unlike the P 8, however, the S 10—inspired by the Saxon XII H—had a four-cylinder engine with simple expansion.
Between 1910 and 1914 a total of 202 locomotives were built. The two prototypes were initially designated as S 8 class and only reclassified in 1912 to S 10. The Lübeck-Büchen Railway took delivery of five similar, albeit somewhat less powerful, machines that they also designated as the S 10.
Over the course of time several modifications were made. In the end the S 10 proved to be worse than the S 101, a four-cylinder compound locomotive in terms of both steam and coal consumption and was one of the most uneconomical Prussian locomotives.
The Deutsche Reichsbahn took over 135 locomotives into its Class 17.0-1 and gave them the running numbers 17 001–135. They were retired by 1935, however, due to their high fuel consumption. Only three examples (17 039, 102 and 107) survived the Second World War, as braking locomotives. The last S 10 was retired in 1954.
History: This set of items is comprised of more than one name. Please look at the component items for details on the specific roadnames and/or manufacturers.
Item created by: bobfallier on 2018-03-23 16:52:44. Last edited by gdm on 2018-04-14 07:54:35
If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.