People who viewed this item also viewed: 142988, 21826, 23943, 24111
Specific Item Information: N Scale Enthusiast. PRR X48. 8' Door PS-1. NSE ATL13-47(44+45+46)
Model Information: In 2012, Atlas decided to create a new tooling for the ubiquitous 40 foot PS-1 boxcar. This new model is of much higher quality than the 1976 model that Atlas had been successfully selling for almost 40 years. The new model features a very high level of detail and features body-mount couplers as well as chemically blackened wheels.
Atlas continues to release cars using the old tooling and both models are called 'PS-1 40 foot boxcars' which can be confusing as anything. However, cars that are produced using the old tooling are marketed under the Atlas Trainman branding and should not be confused with these newer high-quality models which use the 'Master' branding.
Features of this model are: Body Mounted Accumate Couplers; Barber S-2A 50-ton Trucks with Metal Wheels -Separately Applied Ladders; Etched Metal Roof Walk; 10 and 12 Stiffener Roof (used where appropriate); Ajax, Equipco and Miner Brake Wheels; First run features 7', 5 panel Superior, 7', 7 panel Superior and 7' Youngstown Doors; Undecorated items will come with all three doors (7', 5 panel Superior, 7', 7 panel Superior and 7' Youngstown Doors) and all three brake wheels (Ajax, Equipco and Miner Brake Wheels).
So just what is a PS-1? Well the simple answer is it is any boxcar built by Pullman Standard from 1947 on. The design changed over the years – sometimes subtly, sometimes for customer request, and sometimes in a larger way. In general, most PS-1’s built from 1947 to 1961 share the same dimensions and basic construction techniques. These cars all had a length of 40′, a height of 10’5″ or 10’6″, welded sides and ends and roof of Pullman’s own design. The greatest variation was in the size and style of doors used. Pullman Standard also offered 50′ and later 60′ boxcars – also with the PS-1 designation.
Road Name History:
The PRR was the largest railroad by traffic and revenue in the U.S. for the first half of the twentieth century. Over the years, it acquired, merged with or owned part of at least 800 other rail lines and companies. At the end of 1925, it operated 10,515 miles of rail line; in the 1920s, it carried nearly three times the traffic as other railroads of comparable length, such as the Union Pacific or Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroads. Its only formidable rival was the New York Central (NYC), which carried around three-quarters of PRR's ton-miles.
At one time, the PRR was the largest publicly traded corporation in the world, with a budget larger than that of the U.S. government and a workforce of about 250,000 people. The corporation still holds the record for the longest continuous dividend history: it paid out annual dividends to shareholders for more than 100 years in a row.
In 1968, PRR merged with rival NYC to form the Penn Central Transportation Company, which filed for bankruptcy within two years. The viable parts were transferred in 1976 to Conrail, which was itself broken up in 1999, with 58 percent of the system going to the Norfolk Southern Railway (NS), including nearly all of the former PRR. Amtrak received the electrified segment east of Harrisburg.
Read more on Wikipedia.
In those days, railroad modelers had to assemble and build everything from scratch. Steve Jr. created a "switch kit" which sold so well, that the entire family worked on them in the basement at night, while doing business as usual in the machine shop during the day.
Subsequently, Steve Jr. engineered the stapling of rail to fiber track, along with inventing the first practical rail joiner and pre-assembled turnouts and flexible track. All of these products, and more, helped to popularize model railroading and assisted in the creation of a mass-market hobby. The budding entrepreneur quickly outgrew the limitations of a basement and small garage operation. Realizing they could actually make a living selling track and related products, Steve and his father had the first factory built in Hillside, New Jersey at 413 Florence Avenue in 1947. On September 30, 1949, the Atlas Tool Company was officially incorporated as a New Jersey company.
In 1985, Steve was honored posthumously for his inventions by the Model Railroad Industry Association and was inducted into the Model Railroad Industry Hall of Fame in Baltimore, Maryland. In addition, Steve was nominated and entered into the National Model Railroad Association Pioneers of Model Railroading in 1995.
In the early 1990s, the Atlas Tool Company changed its name to Atlas Model Railroad Company, Inc.
Commissioner Information: George Hollwedel
Item created by: Chance on 2016-09-25 16:48:05. Last edited by gdm on 2018-02-24 12:19:04
If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.