Search:
Type the text to search here
and press Enter.
This will search in all fields
of the database.

Click on Search: to go to the advanced search page.

N Scale - Arnold - 0499 - Autorack, Open, Bi-Level Laekks 551 - Deutsche Bundesbahn - 635 532

Please help support TroveStar. Why?

N Scale - Arnold - 0499 - Autorack, Open, Bi-Level Laekks 551 - Deutsche Bundesbahn - 635 532 Copyright held by TroveStar


N Scale - Arnold - 0499 - Autorack, Open, Bi-Level Laekks 551 - Deutsche Bundesbahn - 635 532 Copyright held by TroveStar


Brand Arnold
Stock Number 0499
Manufacturer Arnold Rapido
Production Type Regular Production
Body Style Arnold Rapido Autorack Laekks 551
Prototype Autorack, Open, Bi-Level Laekks 551 (Details)
Road or Company Name Deutsche Bundesbahn (Details)
Reporting Marks DB
Road or Reporting Number 635 532
Paint Color(s) Brown
Print Color(s) White
Coupler Type Rapido Hook
Wheel Type Nickel-Silver Plated Metal
Wheel Profile Deep Flange
Release Date 1967-01-01
Item Category Rolling Stock (Freight)
Model Type Autorack
Model Subtype Laekks
Model Variety 551
Prototype Region Europe
Prototype Era Era IV: 2nd Gen Diesel (1958 - 1978)
Scale 1/160



Prototype History:
These wagons have two loading levels and can be loaded with 9 to 14 mid-size cars, depending on the design. The wagons are suitable for Europe-wide transport. For loading and unloading a ramp with a height of approx. 115/120 cm is planned. The upper loading levels can be lowered for all types of construction, at least on the outer sides as ramps.

The type 551 is designed for the transport of cars, off-road vehicles, vans and vans. So that a type-pure transport as well as a mixed loading of the mentioned types of vehicles in the different loading dimensions is possible, the upper loading level can be finely adjusted.

To ensure sufficient free space during loading and unloading, depending on the respective transport position, the upper loading level can be adapted both to the ends of the wagon and in the middle of the wagon.

The loading and unloading of the upper loading level on top of the top level is possible by lowering the upper loading level at the ends of the car from all intermediate positions. In addition, it is possible to transport very tall vehicles to lower the upper loading level completely.

Road Name History:
Deutsche Bundesbahn was the Western Germany DB before reunification. After World War II, Germany (and the DRG) was divided into 4 zones: US, British, French and Soviet. The first three eventually combined to form the Federal Republic of Germany (the West) and the Russian zone became the German Democratic Republic (the East). German territories beyond the Oder were ceded to Poland except for the northern part of East Prussia, which was ceded to the Soviet Union in 1945.

From 1949, the new governments assumed authority for railway operations. The DRG's (or DR's) successors were named Deutsche Bundesbahn (DB, German Federal Railways) in West Germany, and Deutsche Reichsbahn (DR, German State Railways) in East Germany kept the old name to hold tracking rights in western Berlin.

Unlike the DRG, which was a corporation, both the DB and the DR were federal state institutions, directly controlled by their respective transportation ministries. Railway service between East and West was restricted; there were around five well-controlled and secure checkpoints between West and East Germany, and about the same number between East Germany and West Berlin. Four transit routes existed between West Germany and West Berlin; citizens of West Berlin and West Germany were able to use these without too much harassment by the East German authorities.

The DB started in 1968 with changing the locomotive and passenger car serial numbers to the UIC norm. In 1970 the DR followed. The DB started experimenting with the Intercity trains in a new livery (bright orange).

In 1989, the Wall fell. Train frequency rapidly increased on the existing East/West corridors; closed links which had formerly crossed the border were re-opened. On 3 October 1990, Germany was reunified; however, this was not immediately the case with the railways. Administrative and organisational problems led to the decision to completely re-organize and reconnect Germany's railways. The so-called Bahnreform (Railway Reform) came into effect on 1 January 1994, when the State railways Deutsche Bundesbahn and Deutsche Reichsbahn were formally reunited to form the current German Railway Corporation (Deutsche Bahn).

From Wikipedia

Brand/Importer Information:
Founded in 1906 by Karl Arnold in Nuernberg, K. Arnold & Co. began its life producing tin toys and related items. They produced an extensive line of model ships, doll house items and other toys. In 1935, K. Arnold & Co. hired Max Ernst as their managing director. Ernst, not to be confused with the German realist artist of the same name, was a significant factor in the future of Arnold.

There are several distinct phases of Arnold's model train production. In the period of 1960 - 1962, Arnold marketed the Arnold Rapido 200 product line; this line was very crude yet it also was a sensation because of its much smaller size than TT.

The next phase was from 1963-1967, when the rapido product line begins to swing toward scale representations of the trains. It is during this period that the "Rapido Coupler" comes into production, beginning its widespread use by all model train manufacturers in N-Scale. It was in 1964 that the term "N-Scale" came into use. Between 1968 and 1970, rapido line of trains reached maturity, notably with its turntable and roundhouse. Arnold entered into a business relationship with the U.S. company Revell around 1968, beginning the marketing of Revell Rapido model trains. This relationship was marked by the beginning of production of more accurate North American prototype models by Arnold. This relationship continued for several years, ending in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Arnold continued their expanded production, with new models until the early 1990s.

On Max Ernst's 1976 retirement, Arnold employed perhaps 200 to 250 people, using three facilities in the Nurnberg area. The Company continued under family control until 1995, when Arnold went into bankruptcy and was sold to Rivarossi of Italy. Rivarossi, in turn, also went bankrupt, leading to the sale of all assets to Hornby of the United Kingdom. Production is carried out in China.

Item created by: gdm on 2019-08-13 12:47:16

If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.