Search : Mkt:

Rail - Rolling Stock (Freight) - Reefer - 57 Foot, Mechanical, PC&F R-70-20

Please help support TroveStar. Why?

Rail - Rolling Stock (Freight) - Reefer - 57 Foot, Mechanical, PC&F R-70-20
Name Reefer, 57 Foot, Mechanical, PC&F R-70-20
Region North America
Category Rail
Type Rolling Stock (Freight)
SubType Reefer
Variety 57 Foot, Mechanical, PC&F R-70-20
Manufacturer Pacific Car & Foundry (Details)
Era Era IV: 2nd Gen Diesel (1958 - 1978)


People who viewed this item also viewed: 142706, 135833, 119262, 141980, 136618

History: Pacific Car and Foundry responded to the railroad’s migration from ice stored in bunkers as a primary cooling system to the diesel mechanical systems. The mechanical reefers could keep a more regular temperature, often times colder then what the ice bunker cars could at the time. Initially mechanical reefers were used primarily in frozen food service. This would soon change as mechanical refrigeration began to replace ice-based systems. Soon after, mechanical refrigeration units replaced the “armies” of personnel required to re-ice the cars. Several different deliveries of the PC&F 57’ mechanical to many different railroads in the mid to late 1960s. Many have been rebuilt and are still in service today.

These 50'-10" mechanical refrigerator cars were built by PC&F in 1969-70 and featured 4269 ft3 capacity and a 10'-6" door opening. Note that this body style is sometimes referred to as 57', however, the mechanical refrigeration eqipment takes up space on one end of the car thus leaving a nominal 50' usable inside length for loading. Bangor and Aroostook often leased it’s reefer fleet to Pacific Fruit Express in the off season for the railroad. This turned out to be a peak season for PFE in California. Green Bay and Western purchased several classes of 57’ Mechanicals from the BAR. Many were hastily patched and put into service. The GB&W cars were often seen on the North Western Pacific in California carrying butter from the Humbolt Bay to eastern markets.

Railroad/Company: In 1905, William Pigott, Sr. founded Seattle Car Mfg. Co. to produce railway and logging equipment at its plant in West Seattle. The company later merged with Twohy Brothers of Portland to become Pacific Car and Foundry Company, a name it retained for the next 55 years. In 1924, William Pigott sold control of the company to American Car and Foundry Company.

Believing "Pacific Car and Foundry Company" no longer accurately reflected the company's products and activities, directors and shareholders voted to adopt PACCAR Inc as its new name in 1972. In 1973, two major divisions of PACCAR were founded. PACCAR International Inc., with headquarters in Bellevue, Washington, was formed to consolidate the sales and service of company products abroad, and PACCAR Parts Division was established in Renton to supply aftermarket parts sales.


Item Links: We found: 1 different collections associated with Rail - Rolling Stock (Freight) - Reefer - 57 Foot, Mechanical, PC&F R-70-20
Item created by: gdm on 2018-01-23 10:31:17. Last edited by gdm on 2018-02-16 10:36:16

If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.