People who viewed this item also viewed: 125557, 139598, 22271, 109456, 95370
Company History: Construction of the H&TC began in 1853 under the name Galveston & Red River Railway. By 1861 they had built 81 miles from Houston to Milliken and changed the name to Houston & Texas Central. The Civil War ended expansion until 1867. In subsequent decades, they built or bought their way to Dallas, Dennison, Austin and Waco. Lines built prior to 1875 were built to 5’6” gauge. Subsequent lines were built to standard gauge. By 1877, the broad gauge lines had all been standard gauged. Control of the H&TC passed to Southern Pacific in 1883 but it continued to operate under its own flag. In 1927, the 827 mile H&TC was leased to another Southern Pacific holding, the Texas & New Orleans. It remained a paper railroad until 1934 when it was merged into T&NO.
Text courtesy of Bluford Shops
Item created by: gdm on 2018-01-12 11:43:31. Last edited by gdm on 2018-01-12 11:44:30
If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.