People who viewed this item also viewed: 113010, 96569, 20412, 139278, 95258
Road Name History:
The code refers to the actual height of the rail. The followings heights are used for N-scale:
- Code 80 = 0.080" tall or about 13" N scale height - the mostly used for sectional tracks.
- Code 70 = 0.070" tall or about 11" N scale height
- Code 55 = 0.055" tall or about 9" N scale height - the mostly used by modelers wishing a realistic effect for their layout. Can be used with all modern rolling stock (low flange wheels).
- Code 40 = 0.040" tall or about 6" N scale height
The turnout number describes the length needed for the diverging track to be 1 foot apart from the straight one . So the lower the number, the sharper the curve, and the higher the number, the more gradual curve on the diverging track.
- In a #4 turnout, the rails are 1 foot apart at a distance 4 feet beyond the frog
- In a #6 turnout, the rails are 1 foot apart at a distance 6 feet beyond the frog
- In a #8 turnout, the rails are 1 foot apart at a distance 8 feet beyond the frog
Note that European brands such as Minitrix or Fleischmann use a different notation for turnouts and refer to the radius of the curvature of the diverging track.
Bob's son Ron joined the company in 1972 and another son Richard joined in 1981. Richard left the company in 1997 to pursue other business opportunities but the many products he developed are still a part of the Micro Engineering line.
In 1984 the company moved into a 4,000 square foot building which allowed the purchase of the injection molding machine and tooling from which the Flex-Trak was manufactured. Additional molding machines, CNC milling machines and other equipment for a tool and die shop where purchased for development and manufacture of new products.
Today in 2014, Micro Engineering / Rail Craft celebrates its 50th year in business. The company is still operated with the same enthusiasm that Bob Rands brought to Rail Craft Products 50 years ago.
Manufacturer Information: Address: 1120 Eagle Road Fenton, MO 63026 Phone: 800-462-6975 636-349-1112
Item created by: nscalestation on 2017-12-07 16:24:18
If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.