People who viewed this item also viewed: 123828, 123889, 131540, 124392, 111006
Specific Item Information: same as Arnold Rapido 0219
Body Style Information: Introduced: circa 1963 (discontinued circa 1968). This is one of Arnold-Rapido's earliest engines. It was introduced in the early 1960's and is consequently an important part of N-Scale history. It was advertised as far back as Model Railroader July 1963.
Arnold advertising (Magazine Ads) has referred to this model both as being an EMD F-9 as well and an EMD F-7. Likely the detail on these engines is imprecise enough that at a quick glance they can pass for either. In a way it doesn't really matter because compared to modern engines, these units are really mostly obsolescent and should be treated as "Shelf Decorators" or "Collector Finds". They were more than acceptable as runners at the time they were released, but anyone who is accustomed to the performance of a modern Kato or InterMountain F-Unit will likely be disappointed if they were to run one of these. We won't even mention DCC as it would be far easier to find a custom painter for a modern F-Unit than to find a DCC-installer for one of these antiques.
Prototype Information: The EMD F9 was a 1,750 horsepower (1,300 kW) Diesel-electric locomotive produced between February 1953 and May 1960 by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors (EMD) and General Motors Diesel (GMD). It succeeded the F7 model in GM-EMD's F-unit sequence. Final assembly was at GM-EMD's La Grange, Illinois plant. The F9 was also built in Canada by General Motors Diesel at their London, Ontario plant. A total of 100 cab-equipped lead A units and 154 cabless booster B units were built. The F9 was the fifth model in GM-EMD's highly successful "F" series of cab unit diesel locomotives.
A F9 can be distinguished reliably from a late F7 only by the addition of an extra filter grille ahead of the front porthole on the side panels on A units. Internally, the use of an 567C prime mover increased power to 1,750 hp from the F7's 1,500 hp.
By the time cab units such as the F9 were built, railroads were turning to the road switcher-style of locomotive, and the F9 was succeeded in most part by the EMD GP9.
The Santa Fe was a pioneer in intermodal freight transport, an enterprise that (at one time or another) included a tugboat fleet and an airline (the short-lived Santa Fe Skyway). Its bus line extended passenger transportation to areas not accessible by rail, and ferryboats on the San Francisco Bay allowed travelers to complete their westward journeys to the Pacific Ocean. The ATSF was the subject of a popular song, Harry Warren & Johnny Mercer's "On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe", written for the film, The Harvey Girls (1946).
The railroad officially ceased operations on December 31, 1996, when it merged with the Burlington Northern Railroad to form the Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway.
Read more on Wikipedia.
Starting in 1967, Arnold and Revell, Inc. of Venice, California entered into a distribution relationship. These new trains would be called MicroTRAINs. The first catalog, dated 1967, shows first generation Arnold rapido F-units on the cover.
Item created by: gdm on 2017-01-23 14:00:04. Last edited by RoadRailer on 2017-03-02 15:50:33
If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.