Powered by a V16 FDL 4000-horsepower prime mover, the main features of this distinctive design are the four-window North American cab, the cowl-style body and the famous ‘Draper Taper’ cutout behind the cabs (designed by CN’s Assistant Chief of Motive Power, William L. Draper to provide better reverse visibility on full-width cowl units). These great-looking locomotives always turn railfan heads in trains!
The Dash 8-40CM (also known as the C40-8M) was introduced in 1990 with an order of 30 units for Canadian National (2400-2429), classified EF-640a. This was followed by a further 25 units (2430-2454) in 1992, classified EF-640b. C Rail received 22 units (4601-4622) in 1990, followed by four more (4623-26) in 1993. These were transferred to CN following the de facto purchase of BCR in 2004. The final units were for QNSL, which acquired three locomotives (401-403) in March 1994.
Amazingly, all 81 CN and BC Rail Dash 8s are still in service. Most are still in their original paint schemes but several have been repainted into the newer CN.CA livery.
The model is offered in various CN and BCR paint schemes, and also - but conditionally - in the colourful Quebec North Shore & Labrador paint scheme.
This N Scale Dash 8-40CM model features:
- Accurately scaled from prototype blueprints - completely designed from new
- Roadname-specific details including bell position, single or double rear headlights, with or without battery boxes behind cab, horns, tall or short sand fillers, CN or BCOL style ditch lights and more!
- An insane level of underbody detail with air filters, many separate pipes and moulded traction motor cabling and air/control pipe runs.
- Heavy, die-cast chassis with a powerful coreless motor and dual flywheels
- Operational headlights and real lights with operational factory-installed ditch lights (plus rock lights on BCOL locomotives)
- Separate grab irons and handrails installed at the factory
- DC/Silent (Next18 DCC Ready) or DC/DCC/Sound (ESU LokSound) options
- Accurate sounds recorded from a real General Electric Dash 8-40CM
- Factory-installed couplers mounted at the correct height
The US MSRP $149.95 (DC/Silent) and $259.95 (DC/DCC/Sound).
As usual, these engines will be made to order.
Order deadline is October 15th, 2018
Delivery in mid-2019
See full description on Rapido Trains website.